DescriptionAs a small non-profit we are looking for an intern interested in learning all aspects of the public relations field. The intern who fills this position should expect to learn the field from top to bottom, and will complete this program ready to enter any fast-paced public relations firm with excellent skills. It's essential that applicants to this position have excellent communication skills, demonstrate creativity, and understand the importance of attending to even the smallest details
Desired SKILLS:• Strong communication skills
• Applicants should also have strong writing skills
• An understanding of our social media tools from Facebook, Twitter, Google, Pintrerest, etc.
• Interest in social issues preferred.
• Demonstrates flexibility; can redefine the role as needed and adapt to change.
• Expert research skills
• Interacts professionally and appropriately within a variety of situations.
• Builds consensus, facilitates win-win business outcomes, gains experience with new ideas and courses of action.
• Clearly articulates, presents, and promotes ideas and issues before various audiences in a professional settings.
• Demonstrates the ability to identify and solve problems quickly, decisively, and independently.
• Shares information, cooperates with others, and is comfortable participating as part of a team.
• Should be majoring in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications should apply.
RequirementsStudents applying for this internship must have strong communication skills and should be majoring in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or Journalism. Applicants should also have strong writing skills, as well as a solid understanding of social media. Only interns proficient with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office applications should apply.
Duties Include:• Monitor all forms of media
• Schedule and coordinate speaking engagements, appearances, and other special events
• Write press releases and other materials
• Answer phone calls
• Assist with mailings, print production
• Create interview preparation materials
• Compile contact lists
• Search for articles relevant to our website
• Create or update databases
• Greet guests and clients
By the end of this training the trainee will have learned to:• Fully understand the different responsibilities associated with a public relations position.
• Compile a portfolio of completed assignments at the end of the internship
• Gain an advanced understanding of pubic relations
• Obtain experience in the importance of using social media in a public relations position.
• Connect the importance of using public relations within an organization
• Understand how public relations is beneficial to an organizations growth